For the first time in its history, the 43RD annual Glass Art Society Conference will take place in the city of Chicago, offering participants from around the globe the opportunity to hear and interact with some of the greatest glass artists and creators in the world. Chicago will become an epicenter of glass art and design with workshops, demonstrations, special events, forums and presentations located throughout the city in the days leading up to and during the Conference. This year’s Glass Art Society Conference will be hosted by Ignite Glass Studios and West Supply.
- Chicago native and visual artist Theaster Gates will serve as keynote presenter.
- Conference attendees and the general public will have the opportunity to take part in The Day of Glass, offering an up close and personal look into the world of glass art at some of the city’s most influential glass art studios. Tours, demonstrations and special exhibitions of artwork will be held at various glass art studios in the city and surrounding suburbs at this free and open to the public day. Advanced registration is required for some events. Visit www.glassart.org/2014_Day_of_Glass.html for details.
- At the Chicago Gallery Hop, visitors will experience the depth and diversity of the exciting Chicago art scene by venturing out to the ECHT Gallery, Ken Saunders Gallery and various other galleries throughout Chicago.
- The 19th Annual Goblet Grab is a fast-paced, spontaneous and exciting fundraiser for The Glass Art Society Special Project Community Partnership Fund. Participants have the opportunity to purchase a one-of-a-kind wine goblet, created by a well-known or novice glass artist.
- The Glass Art Society Conference Live and Silent Auction is a show-stopper each year with guests. The GAS Auction has become one of the highlights of the annual conference. This is a great opportunity to see amazing work created by glass artists and Chicago presenters.
WHEN: March 19 – 22, 2014
Pre-conference workshops March 15-19
Pre-conference reception: March 19
WHERE: Main Conference Venues: Palmer House Hilton; Ignite Glass Studios and West Supply
Workshops: Glass Studios throughout the city and suburbs
Pre-conference Reception: Ignite Glass Studios (401 North Armour Street, Chicago)
19th Annual Goblet Grab: Palmer House Hilton
Silent Auction: Palmer House Hilton
Locations vary for workshops. Please visit www.glassart.org for more information.